July 20-26: Back from Winter Break

With “winter break” over, this week was a pretty standard one at site. As my service comes to a close in around 2 months, I’m trying to cram in as many classes and clubs as I can, as my students likely won’t have any type of PE or extracurricular spaces for the remainder of the year once I depart Costa Rica. In total, I facilitated 9 PE classes this week and 2 youth clubs: my reading club and the Amigos sin Fronteras international club. In PE, I had my students play handball once again. To me, this has been one of the most successful activities they’ve done to promote teamwork. I made a rule that they can only run with the ball for 3 steps at a time which has forced them to share the ball and work together. Unfortunately, a handful of outdoor classes were suspended for the rain, but fortunately I had dodgeball as a backup indoor activity ready to go in that case. My international club students “virtually” traveled to Colombia, a lesson I’d repeated from the previous year. Meanwhile, my reading club students read a short story called “The Worst Woman in the World. With the colegio students, I continued to prioritize their community service work and hosted a running club on Saturday morning, although sadly only 2 students showed up. I think some of the rest of the group is still getting back into their routine following the school break.




Over the weekend, I went to my girlfriend Keily’s house where we had a movie night. After watching "The Odyssey" last week, we were inspired to watch some more Christopher Nolan. Although I’d seen it before, she hadn’t, she we ordered some pizza and watched “Inception”. The following day, we went to the nearby suburb of Curridabat to go to the mall and did some shopping there. It’s a really nice mall that has many major international retailers - it’s so nice to have something like that so close to my community.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Home for the Holidays: Christmas in MO, New Year's in CR

Sidebar #58 - 2026 Costa Rican Presidential Election

Feb 17-23: Settling in at School + a Weekend in Puerto Viejo