Sidebar #83 - Posh Corps
One of the unique things about the Peace Corps is how different the experience varies from community to community and country to country. No two Peace Corps services are the same, and that makes it particularly special. I'm very close to my fellow volunteers in Costa Rica and in many respects, I feel much more attached to Peace Corps Costa Rica rather than the organization as a whole. There just simply isn't any real contact or crossover with programs in other countries at the volunteer-level. However, that doesn't stop volunteers from joining online forums like Reddit where services are frequently compared.
Because countries and communities vary so much within Peace Corps, sometimes volunteers in places that are more associated with being "hardships posts" feel as if their service was tougher and perhaps more authentic than others. Certainly, there are sites in Sub-Saharan Africa and in the South Pacific that are much more rugged and remote than mine. Oftentimes, the label for these less rugged locations are called "Posh Corps". In the eyes of many in the Peace Corps community, Costa Rica would undoubtedly be labeled as "Posh Corps" if any country was. And within Costa Rica, my comfortable, suburban site is probably even more "Posh Corps". Potable (and hot) water is fairly ubiquitous throughout the country, as is electricity. I have a TV in my room and can call an Uber on command. All of these perks are really nice, I can't lie. But I don't think a "Posh Corps" service is any less valuable. I still spent 2 years integrating in a foreign community, living with a host family, eating an unfamiliar diet, and working at two schools. In fact, I appreciate my type of urban experience because I think it helps demonstrate the variety of Peace Corps experiences.
Comments
Post a Comment